This is probably the last year my youngest will allow me to dress him up in something really stinkin’ cute for Halloween. I know this because I wanted my older son, three, to be something stinkin’ cute and instead he said he wanted to be a stoplight. You’re basically a walking utility pole. Not cute.
Being the Miyazaki fanatics we are, my husband thought Totoro would be a great idea. After all, he hand painted a mural in our child’s room resplendent with Miyazaki characters. I scoured the Internet for a Totoro costume and found one that was simply adorable. However, it wasn’t for sale.
I went temporarily insane and decided to try to make it myself. After purchasing the fleece fabric on eBay and borrowing the sewing machine from a friend, crippling doubt set in. Just to clarify; I have never made anything wearable with a sewing machine, and the last time I actually used one was in 7th grade to make a horrible Ziggy pillow that my mother STILL HAS ON HER BED. So one can imagine how daunting this project seemed at first glance.
I had panic attacks and heart palpitations throughout the entire process. It was not that it was a particularly difficult costume to make, but for someone who just realized how impossible it was to fix a mistake once it was made with a sewing machine? I was in total panic mode for a week.
Everything went swimmingly. The husband measured and cut the pieces, using his artist eye to make everything look proportional. Cautiously, I sewed everything together using the sparse instructions I had read on the blog. YouTube videos also helped when trying to decipher the mystery that is “The Bobbin.” I hate that thing and string in general, at this point.
But once the last bit was sewn on I stepped back and oozed with pride. How cute is this kid?! We are overflowing with adorableness.
- howibecameparanoid likes this
- themermaidgarden likes this
- tiffanykwok likes this
- jannietane likes this
- chokupopo reblogged this from mumblymumble and added:
- lancemeansspear likes this
- tightbutt reblogged this from wilsondoes
- twixit808 likes this
- wilsondoes reblogged this from downrightpawnch
- downrightpawnch reblogged this from mumblymumble
- staceyleephillips likes this
- bludkf likes this
- nigetai likes this
- kurenaikamui reblogged this from labyrithian
- kurenaikamui likes this
- labyrithian reblogged this from assbuttsdoitspookier
- labyrithian likes this
- vision-of-a-gentle-coast likes this
- apostrophical reblogged this from mumblymumble
- iron-inside likes this
- assbuttsdoitspookier likes this
- amietron reblogged this from mumblymumble and added:
- neolaamaya likes this
- thegnarliestgnome reblogged this from mumblymumble
- rarechujelly likes this
- mis0ya likes this
- mumblymumble posted this